Ear Irrigation & Instrumentation for Healthcare Assistants and Other Support Workers and their mentors
A 2-day course in ear irrigation for Support Workers designed to ensure that those Assistants who are expected to irrigate are able to do so confidently and safely.The role of the Healthcare Assistant/ Support Workers in primary care may involve providing basic ear care, including irrigation.
As a result of the necessity for social distancing we will be putting new teaching methods into place, both for your safety and ours. This will take the form of some interactive teaching via the internet and some practical tuition. It is important, therefore, that you have a mentor at your place of work, to ensure that you achieve the required competencies. Further details will be posted here nearer the time, and will, of course, be sent to you when you book a place.
- Healthcare Assistants working in general practice and the community
- Care Assistants and Nurse Auxiliaries in nursing and residential homes
The course provides knowledge and practical guidance, which, together with mentorship in situ, should enable Healthcare Assistants to fulfil their extended role.
- An understanding of the basic anatomy and physiology of the ear
- An understanding of basic ear care
- A foundation of knowledge on which to base practical ear irrigation
- A foundation knowledge of otoscopy
- Reflected on accountability and documentation
- An understanding that, during and following completion of the course, they will undertake ear irrigation within appropriately monitored and supervised conditions and within the limits of their knowledge, skill and competence
- An understanding that, following the course, ear irrigation will continue to be undertaken in accordance with the Ear Care Guidelines
Please note: This course includes the theory of ear irrigation
Following the course, the student will require practical supervision by a suitable mentor who has received training in ear care. The mentor must be identified, and approved, prior to commencement of the course and must attend the first day of this course.
Price: £525.00 per HCA & Mentor (includes lunch for the HCA)
April 29th - 30th 2021
July 29th - 30th 2021
What to do now? – If you need more information than is provided here,
please telephone us. To apply for a course, please use the interactive
application form which you will find below
Student Training Course Application Form
Mentor Training Course Application Form